The University of Klagenfurt, with approximately 1,500 employees and over 12,000 students, is located in the Alps-Adriatic region and consistently achieves excellent placements in rankings. The motto “per aspera ad astra” underscores our firm commitment to the pursuit of excellence in all activities in research, teaching and university management. The principles of equality, diversity, health, sustainability and compatibility of work and family life serve as the foundation for our work at the university.
The University of Klagenfurt is pleased to announce the following open position at the Department of Networked and Embedded Systems (Research Group Smart Grids) with a negotiable starting date, preferably commencing on October 1, 2021:
1 Predoc Scientist (all genders welcome)
Level of employment: 75 % (30 hours/week)
Minimum salary: € 31,200.40 per annum (gross); classification according to collective agreement: B1
Limited to: 4 years
Application deadline: August 25, 2021
Reference code: 367/21
Area of responsibility
- Participation in research and teaching activities of the Smart Grids group
- Independent scientific work with the goal of completing a doctorate/PhD degree in Computer Science
- Committed participation in administrative and organisational tasks of the department
- Participation in public relations activities of the department and/or the faculty
- Master’s degree or diploma at a domestic or foreign higher education institution in a field related to Computer Science, Telematics, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Communications Engineering, Power Engineering, Game Studies and Engineering or Physics.
- Good knowledge in at least one of the following subject areas:
- Energy systems
- Simulation-based research methods (e.g., agent-based simulation, multi-agent simulation, Monte-Carlo simulation)
- Swarm robotics
- Gamification in energy systems
- Very good programming skills
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
- Communication and presentation skills
- Subject-specific international and practical experience
- Teaching experience and didactic competence
- Organizational skills and willingness to support administrative tasks
- First relevant publications (apart from the Master’s or diploma thesis)
- German language skills (spoken and written)
The research group deals with the design, modelling and analysis of future systems for energy generation, measurement and management. The main challenge here is the transformation of our energy system into a smart grid with minimal CO2 emissions. To this end, the research group addresses interdisciplinary issues in the fields of self-organisation and artificial intelligence. Another topic is self-organising swarm systems and their application in swarm robotics.
The staff members work in a dedicated, collegial and international team in the very well-equipped Lakeside Science & Technology Park. The working language is English. The department cooperates with national and international partners from science and industry. It is also part of the Lakeside Labs research cluster (self-organising networked systems) and a European Erasmus Mundus doctoral programme (interactive and cognitive systems).
The employment contract is concluded for the position as a Predoc Scientist and stipulates a starting salary of € 2,228.60 gross per month (14 times a year; previous experience deemed relevant to the job can be recognised).
The University of Klagenfurt also offers:
- Personal and professional advanced training courses, management and career coaching, including bespoke training for women in science
- Numerous attractive additional benefits, see also https://jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/
- Diversity- and family-friendly university culture
- The opportunity to live and work in the attractive Alps-Adriatic region with a wide range of leisure activities in the spheres of culture, nature and sports
If you are interested in this position, please apply in English providing the following documents:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of degree certificates (Bachelor’s and Master’s or diploma degree)
- Copies of official transcripts (Bachelor and Master) containing the list of all courses and grades
- Master’s thesis. If the thesis is not available, the candidate should provide an explanation.
We can only accept applications submitted before the deadline and comprising all necessary documents.
To apply, please select the position with the reference code 367/21 in the category “Scientific Staff” using the link “Apply for this position”.
For further information on this specific vacancy, please contact Prof. Dr. Wilfried Elmenreich (firstname.lastname@example.org). General information about the university as an employer can be found at https://jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/. At the University of Klagenfurt, recruitment and staff matters are accompanied not only by the authority responsible for the recruitment procedure but also by the Equal Opportunities Working Group and, if necessary, by the Representative for Disabled Persons.
The University of Klagenfurt aims to increase the proportion of women and therefore specifically invites qualified women to apply for the position. Where the qualification is equivalent, women will be given preferential consideration.
People with disabilities or chronic diseases, who fulfil the requirements, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Travel and accommodation costs incurred during the application process will not be refunded.